"This is a brief life, but in its brevity it offers us some splendid moments, some meaningful adventures." ~Rudyard Kipling

Thursday 7 November 2013

Textiles: Silk & Cotton Kurtas

To my utter delight, exquisite textiles seem to be everywhere!
Here are a few of the silk and cotton kurtas I've found.

I'm afraid half the time, in my wide-eyed stupor, I completely forget to photograph the sources, but can share some of my spoils. Never fear, I shall be doing my best, once again, to help the Indian economy and will report back more fully!

Let's start with the pretty colours. I have only been to two places that sell ladies' kurtas (tunics), and picked up a few in silk and a couple in cotton. Here's a peek.
Silk kurtas from Fab India
These garments are made with beautiful fabrics, in flattering shapes, and with precise detailing. Look at the fine construction of this pink kurta.
Orderly flat seams without any stray or unravelling threads.
And the beautiful embellishments.
Simple and perfectly executed.
Each of the kurtas I found were decorated slightly differently. There was no end to the designs, enhancements, and colours. 
Eesh..the colour...it's really a lovely deep blackberry...but, look at that sleeve!
Just look at these beatuties from Soma. I can't tell you how beautiful that shop is! I went to one in Delhi, but will be hitting the mother ship in Jaipur when we visit. Rajasthan is thought by many to be the most beautiful area in India, and I must say that the various forms of art from that area are my favourite. We may have to visit sooner than intended!
Happy patterns, sunny colours...love Soma! Gorgeous wood-blocked designs.
Again...just look at the detail and workmanship! Weighty silk and gossamer cotton.
Fine piping detail on the silken sleeve

Precise detailing, and even an extra button tacked on, just in case.
I really have quite simple tastes, but some of the work was truly magnificent. My friend kept egging me on to more elaborate designs. Here's what I found when I yielded and gave in to an ornate silk brocade.
Heavy silk brocade with an extremely comfortable cotton lining...
good for the cooler weather heading our way.
I have never worn much in the way of tunics, as I usually prefer more fitted garments. But, these kurtas have really suited our weather and surroundings. It's fun playing dress-up!

We are off to the tailors. Suits and shirts for the boys, and woollen skirts & silk blouses for me!!
I'll share soon!

1 comment:

  1. hi really this is nice blog.
    you can choose huge collection and design on salwa and kurtis indian Silk Kurtis for women here.....

    ReplyDelete