"This is a brief life, but in its brevity it offers us some splendid moments, some meaningful adventures." ~Rudyard Kipling

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Mehndi mastery

I have got to know a few of the girls at the Ladies' Centre, 
and they were all very keen to see me with mendhi, 
as they thought it would look striking against my (extremely) pale skin.

Well, I'm up for anything, so here we are!
Here is the artist and her tool...it's a very fine 'paint pen' filled with henna...
you have a choice of colours, but this is the traditional hue.
Mehndi is mostly done on the hands and feet as the skin is palest there.
Err...not a problem anywhere on me.
Getting down to business
I couldn't believe how quickly the pattern was done! 
This is not a traditional design, 
but something that was done on a whim,
as the mood struck.
So like India.
The completed design.
Once completed, the art, which had gone on like a thick paste, 
needed to dry for about half an hour, after which time it could be peeled off.
I was instructed to mix lemon juice and sugar and apply like a poultice. Which I did.
At bedtime, I was to smear vaseline over the design. Which I didn't.
Here's the design the next day.


The lemon syrup and vaseline treatments are intended to prolong the life of the art, 
and by following half of the advice (typical of me, I'm afraid)
I kept the peacock and flowers for about a week.

I'm not sure that mehndi is for me...but then, I don't have a tattoo either (nor ever will).
Just one of those things I prefer on others, I think.
But, it was much admired...and Prof found it quite alluring.

No comments:

Post a Comment