"This is a brief life, but in its brevity it offers us some splendid moments, some meaningful adventures." ~Rudyard Kipling

Thursday 7 November 2013

A Snake Came To My Water-Trough...

...On a hot, hot day..." (D.H. Lawrence)

Well, it was near enough to my watering hole...I suppose that counts.
Look, you can see where he slithered out of his skin!
Sometimes in the depth of winter  I wish I could do the same.
As we were waiting for our driver to take us to the tailor yesterday, one of the house boys found a snake skin just outside the front door...and it was fresh!
He slipped out as if to slink out of an evening gown,
leaving it all in one exquisite sheath.
Just look at those delicate markings, and the smooth belly!
My tape measure is 60 inches long,
and his tail went beyond.
Our friend told us that our snake would have been a least a foot longer, 
and broader in girth. That's quite big enough in my book.
As sqeaumish as I was...I was more fascinated.
Such a lovely tail.
We have been told that snakes are about to go into hibernation, but we got all the proof we needed that they are still out there! We're warned to keep only to lit areas at night. There are three poisonous snakes in India, and our area is home to all of them! Along with a good smattering of others.
His skin was so smooth to the touch!
Eldest son and I are off for a few days of yoga and sight-seeing, while the Prof does a bit of work...have a lovely weekend...I'll be back next week!

2 comments:

  1. Did you just hear me scream all the way from London? OMG I have a fear of snakes and even on screen I shivered. I think I might have fainted if I saw that. Does that mean they are still active or going to hibernate soon? I bet there is never a dull day in India!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You & me both! Rats & snakes...like Voldemort, just the mention usually sends me! On Day 5 I ran into the former and hopped and hollered like a banshee! Very amusing to the masses around me...nothing goes unnoticed in India. Can't believe I actually touched the snake skin, but hate to waste an opportunity :)

    There has been a lot of conversation about the skin around here, as it is time for hibernation to start and they usually shed their skin in the Spring, not Autumn. Global warming?? Who knows.

    Thanks so much for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete