"This is a brief life, but in its brevity it offers us some splendid moments, some meaningful adventures." ~Rudyard Kipling

Friday 15 November 2013

Rug Shopping at Dilli Haat

Getting our timing just right
We were so fortunate to visit Dilli Haat in Delhi while the India Weavers Festival was on, 
as we were on the look-out for rugs. 
There were several stalls and almost too many choices.

The market had stalls of all kinds, 
but many were focussing on the arts of textiles during the festival.
Scarves, shawls, stoles, pashminas, and more
We tried not to get distracted,
but it was awfully hard.
Vendors came from all over India.
All very persuasive...must have sent their best salesmen.

Great place to buy spices: singly or blended
While some of the stalls had fixed prices, many of them were open to bargaining. 
Once you get the hang of it, it's quite fun. 
But, we were schooled by an expert: our great friend M.

There are many choices when buying rugs. 
Different designs, materials, and sizes.

We favoured warm reds, geometric over floral or curvilinear,
 classic over modern, silk for the lesser used areas,
and wool for the busier spots.

Although we came prepared
with measurements, preferred colours,
types of design and materials, machine or hand knotted...
the choices were still overwhelming, even when narrowed down...

However, from the moment we saw the silk Turkish-style geometric rug above, we knew.
Buying such a large piece of art has such an impact that it was important we were both involved 
(not always easy with a non-shopper!)
and shared absolute agreement.
Miracles do happen.

And we found a mate to complement "the one" for an adjoining room.

Here they are, all laid out in our flat.
The complement (not true to colour) ...
...to "the one".
We had sagely been advised to not worry too much about all the choices,
but to buy what we loved. 
Good advice, indeed.
We have also been advised to take these home,
and then consider shopping for others.

However, I'm not sure I can wait. 
There's a hand-knotted woollen rug out there for my family room...
and it's going to be awfully fun to find it.

Are you the type to wait,
or like me, and decidedly not?

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! What treasures to bring home. I am very good at decisions like this, I make them in a snap and I don't look back, but it means I'm a bit impatient too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm so excited to get them home. I am very spontaneous when I know I like something. Now I'm on to the next. We should go shopping together, Dani.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog !!!
    I like to buy rugs online....
    Thanks for sharing such nice blog....

    ReplyDelete