"This is a brief life, but in its brevity it offers us some splendid moments, some meaningful adventures." ~Rudyard Kipling

Tuesday 12 November 2013

"...serrated wings against the sky..."

D.H. Lawrence described so well what I saw coming back from yoga at dusk today!

I heard a commotion coming from the trees alongside the path beside the basketball court...squawkings & carryings on, like an angry troop of pterodactyls. 

Suddenly, I saw an enormous black raven flying out of a tree...but, it was too big...perhaps an eagle? No, shape was all wrong. As it opened flight and swept off, it looked like a bat. It made lingering 'whoosh...whoosh' sounds with it's massive wings as it sailed away. It absolutely looked like a bat!





Now, I've seen a lot of small sweet bats around campus. But, surely this was too big. I must be mistaken.  My over-active imagination getting the better of me? I rushed back to check Google, and sure enough, it could well have been the common Indian Flying Fox. Apparently, wingspans can get up to over 5 1/2 feet!

I never know what's going to happen when I leave the flat!

No comments:

Post a Comment